Image courtesy of Devil’s Thumb Ranch
In North America, the word “Nordic” has come to be synonymous with the phrase “cross country skiing.” The word refers, naturally, to the Nordic countries of Scandinavia: as skiing made its way into the English-speaking world, “Nordic” designated the style of skiing practiced by Norwegians, Danes, Swedes and Finns. Today however, cross country skiing is hardly confined to the Fjord-ridden lands of Northern Europe. In the United States, we are fortunate enough to be home to some of the finest Nordic centers and cross country ski terrain—venues that pay homage to their Scandinavian heritage while highlighting the utterly unique and exquisite features that riddle North America. From USA Today, here are the most breathtaking, guest-welcoming, and fun-nurturing Nordic ski hubs this country has to offer, as chosen democratically by the best judges around: the folks who ski at them. Enjoy!
The top 10 winners in the category Best Cross-Country Ski Resorts are as follows:
- Devil’s Thumb Ranch – Tabernash, Colorado
- Bear Valley Adventure Co. – Bear Valley, California
- Snow Mountain Ranch – Granby, Colorado
- Waterville Valley Resort – Waterville Valley, New Hampshire
- Jackson Ski Touring Foundation – Jackson, New Hampshire
- Crested Butte Nordic – Crested Butte, Colorado
- Gatineau Park – Chelsea, Quebec
- Nipika Mountain Resort – Kootenay National Park, British Columbia
- White Grass Ski Touring Center – Davis, West Virginia
- Tahoe Cross-Country Ski Area – Tahoe City, California
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to pick the initial nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote.